Native Americans used this pathway, which they called the Lagahani Trail, as part of a major transportation route between central Pennsylvania and the towns of Corning and Elmira, New York. Later Penn Central built a rail line on the corridor. In 1991 five area municipalities came together to develop the rail-trail. Today its past is reflected in the straight course it takes, passing smoothly over the winding Lycoming River several times using old railroad bridges including a 1901-vintage steel beauty at mile 1.7. The bikeway follows Lycoming Creek and much of the former Penn Central Railroad corridor in Old Lycoming and Loyalsock Townships. It connects several parks and communities north of Williamsport with the 11-mile bikeway system in the Williamsport urbanized area.